Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Did the Halloween Fairy Come to Your Place?

No idea who that is? Probably not, I made her up and I'm hoping she catches on.

Last year, after a night of Trick or Treating, the boys played with their candy, ate a couple of pieces then went to bed. I took it to work the next day and they never asked about it. I knew that I couldn't count on that every year. Even if they forget, for the next week or so, every other kid and adult will remind them (what did you wear? how much candy did you get etc). Some parents let their kids "buy" something with their candy but my kids just don't get the concept of value or buying things yet. In stepped the Halloween Fairy.

The Halloween Fairy comes at night and takes all the candy you leave and gives you a toy (kinda like the Tooth fairy who gives money for used teeth). And if you're really lucky, she may leave you one or two candies/treats.


This year the Halloween Fairy got the boys remote controlled cars. I tried to find the ones for the younger kids, but in the time I had and the locations I could get to, I couldn't find these. So I took a chance and got them 6+ vehicles. One had to be exchanged right away (factory defect, not kid issue) but otherwise they are doing great with them.


When asked, Nathan will say the Tooth Fairy took his candy. Close enough. There were no fights, arguments or pleading involved.

Some people say just give the kids the candy. Not in my place. I'm not a sugar Nazi, but I like to limit the consumption. Add to it, the chocolate is almost all dairy (a no-no in our place) and everything else is all chemical food coloring. I wish I had a video of it, but Nathan was actually bouncing off the walls (and the bed and the floor and everything else) after on a few pieces of candy. Then he crashed, hard, falling asleep while still talking and goofing off. So candy in our place will remain a treat.

So what happened to the candy? I divided it into 3 piles. One to come to work to share with my coworkers and one that contained my favorites that would either be shared with my coworkers or consumed by me! One to stay home with treats they could be given over a long period of time. 
 



More photos of the Halloween Season will follow in a different post along with our observations around this years understanding of trick or treat.

2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

Well see...we had the candy fairy come and take the candy but didn't replace it with anything in years past.
So this year we said we'd give the kids a gift for their candy and they all thought we were neat :)

Love the picture. Classic.

Colleen said...

Wonderful idea!