Monday, January 17, 2011

Cloth Diapers - Take 2

I used them almost full time (disposables at night) for the first 6 months. Then the boys started solids but didn't really have a corresponding solidification of their output (soft poops, call it what it is). Add that to round 1 of teething, no sleep etc and I stopped using cloth. I originally planned to go back to them but it didn't happen.
I stripped them all down a few months ago and put them in a bag. On Friday, for some unknown reason, I decided I'm going to give them another go. It was either that or sell them and I didn't seem to have it in me to do that yet. And we did pretty good on the weekend.
I need to remember to use a liner every time. The boys pooped in the morning, so when I changed them, I didn't put in a liner. Um yeah. Both pooped again a few hours later. Oh well, I shook off as much as I could into the toilet and ended up washing the weekend ones yesterday.
I have mostly pocket diapers, some bumgenius, some happy heinies and a few kawaii baby (same idea, 1/2 the cost) for the most part. I also have g-pants. I like the g-pants with the liners from the pockets. It still gives the slightly trimmer size so all their clothes still fit the same. Even the pocket ones aren't bad since my guys are so skinny that I have to cinch all the waists.
I think the hardest thing is going to be my Nanny. She looked at me like I was nuts when I showed her this morning. I prestuffed all the diapers so that shouldn't be an issue. I have a wets bag so they are not going in with the regular laundry and I plan to wash these myself. She already does so much for so little, that I'm not going to ask her to do more.
Overall, the money savings is amazing. Since I've already bought the cloth diapers, there is no more outlay there. I'll still be able to resell them when we're done.
In general, cloth diapered kids potty train sooner. I have to admit that's a nice incentive. I'll believe it when I see it though. Once concern I have is the sizing. I have all one-sizes and my boys are tall. The waists still have tons of room, but the rise is starting to cut it close. We'll have to see.
In the meantime, here are some cute shots of us hanging around the apartment on Sunday. Ignore the totally mismatched colors; they didn't care. The leggings went on after a change before a nap. Since we weren't going out, there was need to put the pants on again.




1 comment:

K J and the kids said...

Good job girl. A twin mom and cloth.....you do our world a great service....I wish I had that kind of energy. :)