Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dirty Business

Imagine having to reuse a dirty diaper because you can't afford more? Or going without food to buy diapers. Thousands of moms face this problem every day. They esstimate 1 in 5 Canadian moms can't afford diapers.


http://www.huggies.com/en-CA/promotions/everylittlebottom

While food is always needed at the foodbank, people often forget that babies have other needs too. Diapers are a huge one. For those of you using disposables, think of how many you go through a day. Imagine if you could only afford half of those or less? One woman told me of how her heart broke when she saw a gramma shopping the scratch and dents in the grocery store, with a toddler in tow wearing a dish towel and plastic bag for a diaper.

If you can, next time diapers are on sale, grab a couple of extras and drop them in the donation bin for the foodbank or your local charity.

You can also donate online to the foodbank (just enter Every Little Bottom in the gift in honor of section).

And you can help without spending any money. If you collect huggies points, you can donate just 16 points to help a baby for a day. And you dont even need to buy any huggies to get to 16 points.

Here is a list of active Huggies bonus codes that will get you there (and beyond).
BGRCSTFRDJGRPGB (1 pt)
BJQTWZMFQJWFPGB (5 pts)
BGSHBQLWTGRKPGB (1 pt)
BJQRFNCNMCNPPGB (5 pts)
BJLTSTSFXCQMPGB (5 pts)
BGQGLPKMCPXPPGB (1 pt)
BJKFTDXKFHCDPGB (5 pts)
BJKNGQJRMBQRPGB (5 pts)
BJNZKHMLTMXDPGB (5 pts)

Its a little know fact that I used the local foodbank for a while towards the end of my leave. I had been living on a very negative budget and this helped alot. They rarely had diapers left, and when they did, there was no choice in size. But as I said, it all helped. Since coming back to work, once I settled in, I buy extra diapers when they are on sale so I can give back. I've passed giving what I used, but I keep giving more. The need continues.

Please help if you can. And please, pass this message on. If you have a blog, share the information. There are links with more information at both the Canadian and US Huggies sites. There are other suggestions, like a local diaper drive (good for Church's and community groups)

3 comments:

K J and the kids said...

Good ideas and thanks for spreading the word.

Aleksandra Nearing said...

That's a great idea. Since my daughter potty trained super quickly, I have leftover diapers I could easily donate. Thanks for stopping by, too!

Gill - That British Woman said...

that is a super idea and I will be using those codes if you don't mind.

Thanks for entering my blog giveaway as well,

Gill