Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Insomnia

When I wake up (usually for a bathroom break) but can't get back to sleep, there are a few options. Of course getting back to sleep is the ultimate goal, but sometimes it doesn't happen. So I read a book, take a bath, have a snack, watch some TV or just lie there and try to clear my brain and relax.

When you're two and cant go back to sleep, you don't have all those options. Especially when you share a room with a twin and mommy sleeps in the living room where the TV is. So instead, you get to lie in mommy's bed and keep her awake as company. The hours between 1 and 3 am seem to be perfect for this.

And what can I do? Not much. I rub his back. I sing to him. I get him water. And anytime my eyes start to drift close, I get woken with a wail or a 'mommy wake up'. Sigh. I'll deal. It's not every night, it's now down to once in a while.

This morning we played the game that goes like this:
Mommy
What Nathan
Mommy
What Nathan
Mommy
Go to sleep Nathan.
Mommy
Go to sleep Nathan
But seriously, I have never felt more like telling him.....




Only a parent could write a book like this.

2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

That SUCKS !
I'm so sorry !
and I agree.....wouldn't it be nice to be able to just say...GO THE F to sleep !

Lesley said...

I love this book. It's a classic and I KNOW every mother/father has felt like this at some point. We just hate to admit it.